U.S. Press Freedom Tracker

Don Lemon arrested, charged over covering Minnesota church protest

Recently updated

Incident details

Updated on
Date of incident
January 29, 2026

Arrest/Criminal Charge

Arresting authority
Homeland Security Investigations
Detention date
Release date
Unnecessary use of force?
No

Subpoena/Legal Order

Legal orders
Legal order target
Journalist
Legal order venue
Federal
Equipment searched or seized
Status of equipment
In custody
Search warrant obtained
Yes
REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Independent journalist Don Lemon, above at a December 2025 event, was arrested by federal agents in Beverly Hills, California, on Jan. 29, 2026. A grand jury indicted him after coverage of a protest that disrupted a church service in St. Paul, Minnesota.

— REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
February 13, 2026 - Update

Federal agents seized journalist’s phone during arrest

A lawyer for independent journalist Don Lemon revealed at the former CNN anchor’s arraignment on Feb. 13, 2026, in St. Paul, Minnesota, that federal agents seized the journalist’s phone when they arrested him in Beverly Hills, California, in January.

A grand jury indicted Lemon and independent journalist Georgia Fort on charges connected to their reporting on a protest against federal immigration raids that disrupted a church service in St. Paul. A group of protesters were also indicted on the same charges.

Lemon has emphasized that he was covering the protest as a journalist, but according to CNN, more than two dozen agents from the FBI and Homeland Security Investigations arrested him at a Los Angeles-area hotel.

At the arraignment, where Lemon pleaded not guilty, his attorney Abbe Lowell asked the court for the return of Lemon’s phone, revealing that it had been seized during the arrest, CNN reported. Federal officials said the phone was being sent to Minnesota, Lowell said.

Prosecutors said the government had obtained a search warrant for the phone and was still in the process of searching it. They did not say when it would be returned to Lemon.

January 29, 2026

Independent journalist Don Lemon was arrested by federal agents at a hotel in Beverly Hills, California, on Jan. 29, 2026, after a grand jury indicted him on charges connected to his reporting on a protest that disrupted a church service in St. Paul, Minnesota, almost two weeks prior.

Demonstrations in the Twin Cities area have been mounting since the beginning of January, following the expansion of an immigration enforcement crackdown, known as Operation Metro Surge, and federal officers’ fatal shooting of two Minneapolis residents — Renee Good and Alex Pretti.

The former CNN anchor and his film crew followed demonstrators as they entered Cities Church on Jan. 18 to voice their opposition to ongoing Immigration and Customs Enforcement actions. Protest organizers said the church was targeted because one of the pastors is allegedly the director of ICE’s St. Paul Field Office.

Later that day, Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights Harmeet Dhillon wrote on social media that Lemon was “on notice,” and the following day she announced that her office would seek charges against everyone present at the protest, NBC News reported.

“Don Lemon himself has come out and said he knew exactly what was going to happen inside that facility,” Dhillon said in a podcast interview with conservative influencer Benny Johnson. “He went into the facility, and then he began — quote, unquote — ‘committing journalism,’ as if that’s sort of a shield from being a part, an embedded part, of a criminal conspiracy. It isn’t.”

Lemon told NBC in an email that he stands by his reporting, adding that “it’s notable that I’ve been cast as the face of a protest I was covering as a journalist — especially since I wasn’t the only reporter there.”

A federal magistrate judge refused to issue charges against Lemon, CBS News reported Jan. 22. The Justice Department appealed the magistrate’s decision, but in a Jan. 23 ruling, a federal appellate court declined to order the judge to sign arrest warrants for Lemon and his producer, according to MS NOW.

In an interview on “The Megyn Kelly Show” later that day, Dhillon said that her office would pursue the case against Lemon “to the ends of the earth.”

A grand jury impaneled Jan. 29 handed down indictments for Lemon as well as independent journalist Georgia Fort, The New York Times and CBS News reported.

According to CNN, more than two dozen agents from the FBI and Homeland Security Investigations — which is leading the investigation — arrested Lemon after 11 p.m. Lemon was in the Los Angeles area to cover the upcoming Grammy Awards, according to a statement from his attorney Abbe Lowell.

Fort was arrested in the early hours of Jan. 30.

“Don has been a journalist for 30 years, and his constitutionally protected work in Minneapolis was no different than what he has always done,” Lowell wrote. “This unprecedented attack on the First Amendment and transparent attempt to distract attention from the many crises facing this administration will not stand. Don will fight these charges vigorously and thoroughly in court.”

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi wrote on social media that the arrests of Lemon, Fort and two others were done at her direction. In a video posted a couple of hours later, Bondi said: “Make no mistake: Under President Trump’s leadership and this administration, you have the right to worship freely and safely. And, if I haven’t been clear already, if you violate that sacred right, we are coming after you.”

According to the Times, both journalists face the same charges as the church protesters — conspiring to deprive rights and interfering with someone’s religious freedom in a house of worship.

According to The Washington Post, Lemon appeared for an initial hearing in federal court on the afternoon of Jan. 30. Assistant U.S. Attorney Alexander Robbins asked the court to issue a $100,000 bond, asserting that the “defendant knowingly joined a mob to storm the church.”

Magistrate Judge Patricia Donahue rejected that request, releasing Lemon under his own recognizance on a no money bond, CNN reported.

Lemon read a statement following his release, CBS News reported, thanking his supporters and vowing to fight the charges.

“Last night, the DOJ sent a team of federal agents to arrest me in the middle of the night for something that I’ve been doing for the last 30 years, and that is covering the news,” he said, of the Department of Justice. “The First Amendment of the Constitution protects that work for me and for countless other journalists who do what I do. I stand with all of them, and I will not be silenced. I look forward to my day in court.”

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said in a statement that the arrests were “deeply troubling.”

“In Minnesota, we do not treat journalists like criminals for doing their jobs. No one should be arrested merely for holding a camera, asking hard questions, or telling the public what we have a right to know,” Ellison wrote. “When the federal government arrests reporters for documenting what is happening in our communities, it violates our rights, undermines our trust, and chills the transparency our democracy needs.”

Freedom of the Press Foundation, of which the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker is a project, condemned the arrests as “naked attacks on freedom of the press.”

“The unmistakable message is that journalists must tread cautiously because the government is looking for any way to target them,” said Seth Stern, FPF’s chief of advocacy. “The answer to this outrageous attack is not fear or self-censorship. It’s an even stronger commitment to journalism, the truth, and the First Amendment.”

According to CNN, Lemon is scheduled to next appear in court Feb. 9 in Minneapolis.

Update: This article has been revised to include details about Don Lemon’s arrest and release from federal custody.

The U.S. Press Freedom Tracker catalogs press freedom violations in the United States. Email tips to [email protected].